About Horizon 2020 Dedicated SME Instrument - Energy, Climate and Transportation
The Horizon 2020 Dedicated SME Instrument directly supports European small and medium-sized enterprises with a strong desire to develop, grow, and internationalize their most innovative ideas. The instrument is relevant for high-tech and research driven companies as well as service companies, and SMEs applying in a consortium or alone. With a successful application to the program, companies will receive:
- Phase 1: A lump sum of EUR 50,000 towards proof-of-concept and feasibility studies
- Phase 2: EUR 0.5-2.5M towards innovation development and demonstration activities
- Support of up to 70% of total project cost
Possibilities with Horizon 2020 SME
Horizon 2020 SME offers funding opportunities for SMEs within a variety of industries, and support is given to the development of innovative ideas to market ready products, processes or services. The program has an overall budget of EUR 3BN which will be distributed to innovative projects in two separate phases.
Phase 1 funding is aimed at exploring and assessing the technical feasibility and commercial potential of breakthrough innovation.
- Activities include risk assessment, market study, user involvement, Intellectual Property (IP) management, innovation strategy development, partner search, feasibility of concept etc.
Phase 2 funding is aimed at innovation projects supported by a sound and strategic business plan (potentially made possible by phase 1 funding) aimed at commercialisation.
- Activities include prototyping, miniaturisation, scaling-up, design, performance verification, testing, demonstration, development of pilot lines, market replication, etc.
Requirements for Horizon 2020 SME
There are three primary requirements for a project to be eligible for support from Horizon 2020 SME:
- Projects need at least one participating SME to apply (An SME has fewer than 250 employees and an annual turnover not exceeding EUR 50M, and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding EUR 43M) SMEs may apply alone.
- No parallel submission or implementation (phase 1 and phase 2) is possible.
- Phase 2 proposals must be based on an elaborate business plan, with particular attention given to IP protection and ownership as well as commercial exploitation.
Below are the upcoming deadlines for Horizon 2020 Dedicated SME Instrument. Expect 1-2 months for the proposal writing process.
SMEInst-09-2016-2017: Stimulating the innovation potential of SMEs for a low carbon and efficient energy system (Phase 1)
Proposals are expected to strongly contribute to one or a combination of more than one of the challenges outlined in the the Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge ‘Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy’, in particular with regard to:
- Reducing energy consumption and carbon footprint by smart and sustainable use (including energy-efficient products and services as well as ‘Smart Cities and Communities’),
- Low-cost, low-carbon electricity supply (including renewable energy as well as carbon capture and storage and re-use),
- Alternative fuels and mobile energy sources,
- A single, smart European electricity grid,
- New knowledge and technologies, and
- Robust decision making and public engagement.
SMEInst-10-2016-2017: Small business innovation research for Transport and Smart Cities Mobility (Phase 1)
Proposals to develop new services, products, processes, technologies, systems and combinations thereof that contribute to achieving the the EU's goals for Transport and Smart Cities Mobility are invited apply.
SMEInst-11-2016-2017: Boosting the potential of small businesses in the areas of climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials (Phase 1)
This topic is targeted at all types of eco-innovative SMEs in all areas addressing the climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials challenge.
Sign up for our news service and recieive a notification when the next deadline is published.Sign up
Can your project get funding from Horizon 2020 Dedicated SME Instrument?
Let us contact you to discuss your possibilities within Horizon 2020 Dedicated SME Instrument - Energy, Climate and Transportation
Can your project get funding?
We can tell you if your project is suited for public funding. Tell us a little bit about your project we can help you identify the funding potential.Tell us about your project
or call (+45) 61 60 75 08
We help you succeed
We help companies obtain public funding by converting good projects to well-prepared applications.
Our services cover the entire application process: