About Horizon 2020 Environment
With support from Horizon 2020 you will be able to conduct international research projects in support of EU policies for the environment. With a successful application of the program, companies will receive:
- 1-5M EUR for technology and product development
- IPR - Intellectual Property Rights
- Network of partners for development
- Access to new markets
- Technology and knowledge transfer
The purpose of Horizon 2020 Environment is to increase European competitiveness and create new jobs.
Possibilities with Horizon 2020 Environment
Horizon 2020 Environment offers opportunities for SMEs as well as large companies, regardless of industry and technological level. It offers interesting possibilities for traditional production companies as well as high-tech companies; the key factor is that the company is facing a technological challenge or has a project idea for the solution of a technological/societal challenge. With Horizon 2020 Environment, the company can receive co-financing from the EU for project research and development.
Horizon 2020 Environmental calls will be offered to projects within the following categories (see current calls below):
- Waste: Reduction and recycling of food waste, raw materials and agricultural bi-products, waste management in urban development, etc.
- Water: Integration of water and climate change, commercialization etc.
- Climate: Air quality improvement, ecosystem restoration, soil decontamination, environmental management and resource protection, sustainable production, eco-innovation, etc.
Requirements for Horizon 2020 Environment
There are three primary requirements for a project to be eligible for support from Horizon 2020 Environment:
- Height of Innovation - the project/technology must be novel and solve a European problem (e.g. energy, production, environment, strengthen European competitiveness)
- Large market potential or socioeconomic impact - min. 100M EUR over 5 years.
- The project demands three partners from three countries.
Below are the upcoming deadlines for Horizon 2020 Environment. Expect 1-2 months for the proposal writing process.
The proposals should be for demonstration projects to clean and lay the ground for a healthy ocean or sea and its coasts in any given large geographic area(s), including regional seas or semi-closed sea basins such as the Mediterranean. The demonstration projects should develop and scale-up innovative processes and measures to clean the selected site72 from visible (for example floating plastics or abandoned fishing gear) and invisible litter (micro- plastics) and pollutants73, involving local communities and actors. Collected waste materials should be adequately processed so as to enable a subsequent usage/ exploitation/ re-usage.
SC5-08-2017: Large-scale demonstrators on nature-based solutions for hydro- meteorological risk reduction
Via large-scale demonstration, projects should aim to
- Develop, demonstrate and deploy innovative systemic and yet locally attuned nature- based solution
- Develop a comprehensive framework for the comparison of green and blue/grey/hybrid hydro-meteorological risk prevention and reduction solutions
- Identify and assess barriers related to their social and cultural acceptance and policy regulatory frameworks and propose ways to overcome them
- Develop methodologies , tools and best practices enabling the replication and up-scaling of nature-based solutions in different contexts
- Provide a consolidated evidence-base on co-development processes, performance standards, cost-effectiveness, operational requirements, life cycle costs and the multiple benefits of nature-based solutions
- Establish long-term sustainable data platforms considering existing initiatives and alternative options
CIRC-01-2016-2017: Systemic, eco-innovative approaches for the circular economy: large-scale demonstration projects - 2017
Proposals shall address: Systemic services for the circular economy (2017): To demonstrate through large scale projects the economic and environmental feasibility of circular economic business models that underpin new services based on performance/functionality rather than ownership, and/or on mass customisation, including through supporting demand side measures. Proposals should adopt a systemic eco-innovative approach addressing all forms of innovation, combining technological, organisational, societal, cultural and behavioural innovation, and strengthening the participation of civil society. Such an approach can foster new forms of collaboration between end-users, producers and researchers. In particular proposals should consider ways of supporting co-creation by developing, experimenting and demonstrating new business models together with end-users, taking into consideration their needs, including gender dimension, thus enabling the development of value adding solutions. Business models that foster new services and consumption and production patterns will require support to end-users in the transition to the circular economy by raising awareness and knowledge sharing activities on circular economy models. The proposals should include an outline business plan which can be developed further in the course of the project.
Proposals shall address:Towards the next generation of water systems and services– large scale demonstration projects (2017): The objective of this topic is to demonstrate innovative solutions at a large scale (i.e regions, cities and/or river basins), in line with EIP Water priorities and the objectives of the Water Framework Directive. Proposals should focus on developing the water services of the future, going beyond water supply sustainability addressing the different water value chains. They should integrate, for instance, the management of water resources and the provision of water services, expanding the re-use of treated waste water and the use of desalinated water (where appropriate), ensuring carbon neutral water services, and closing the water cycle by increasing the efficiency of wastewater treatment plants, including the recovery of energy and the re-use of chemicals and nutrients.
Sign up for our news service and recieive a notification when the next deadline is published.Sign up
Can your project get funding from Horizon 2020 Environment?
Let us contact you to discuss your possibilities within Horizon 2020 Environment
Can your project get funding?
We can tell you if your project is suited for public funding. Tell us a little bit about your project we can help you identify the funding potential.Tell us about your project
or call (+45) 61 60 75 08
We help you succeed
We help companies obtain public funding by converting good projects to well-prepared applications.
Our services cover the entire application process: