About EU Innovation Fund
The EU Innovation Fund is funded through the auctioning of emissions allowances under the EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). Therefore, the total budget for the Fund is dependent on the fluctuating carbon prices. Currently, the expected total budget for 2020-2030 is €25 billion.
The Innovation Fund manages two calls: Large Scale Projects with a total cost over €7.5 million and Small-Scale Projects with a total cost of less than €7.5M.
The grants cover up to 60% of the capital and operational costs and up to 40% of the grant can be payed based on pre-defined milestones before the project is operational.
In addition, the European Investment Bank will provide project development assistance (PDA).
Eligibility and award criteria
The EU Innovation Fund have established 5 themes that they want to support:
- Innovative low-carbon technologies and processes in energy-intensive industries, including products substituting carbon-intensive ones.
- Carbon capture and utilization (CCU)
- Construction and operation of carbon capture and storage (CCS)
- Innovative renewable energy generation
- Energy storage
Legal persons, private entities and/or public entities are eligible to apply. Projects will be selected based on:
- Effectiveness of greenhouse gas emissions avoidance
- Degree of innovation
- Project maturity
- Cost efficiency
Below are the upcoming deadlines for EU Innovation Fund. Expect 1-2 months for the proposal writing process.
The Innovation Fund call for Small Scale Projects helps you carry out demonstration activities of your low-carbon technology, process or product. Your innovation must be scalable and clearly contribute to a climate-neutral economy. Projects with a total capital expenditure between EUR 2,5M and EUR 7,5M are eligible. The grant covers 60% of project expenses.
Legal persons, private entities and/or public entities are eligible to apply. The applicant(s) must demonstrate:
- Strong operational capacity i.e. know-how and qualifications to successfully implement the project, including submission of CVs of primary responsible people.
- Strong financial capacity to maintain their activity throughout the grant period, including submission of profit and loss account and balance sheet for the last 2 financial years.
Sign up for our news service and recieive a notification when the next deadline is published.Sign up
Can your project get funding from EU Innovation Fund?
TechFunding can help you determine if funding from EU Innovation Fund is the right way to go. Contact us to discuss your possibilities.
Can your project get funding?
We are specialised in helping companies win public funding. Tell us a little bit about your project and we will help you identify the funding potential.Tell us about your project
or call (+45) 61 60 75 08
We help you succeed
We help companies obtain public funding by converting good projects to well-prepared applications.
Our services cover the entire application process: