About Innovative Medicines Initiative
With support from the Innovative Medicines Initiative, you will be able to conduct international research for the development of new and efficient medical treatments. The initiative aims at strengthening Europe’s competitiveness through collaborations between stakeholders such as the biotech and pharma industry, governmental institutions, patient associations, and research institutions. The IMI offers funding opportunities for large companies as well as SMEs.
The Innovative Medicines Initiative is supporting a number of research topics. Overall, IMI aims to deliver:
- A 30% better success rate in clinical trials of priority medicines identified by the WHO
- Clinical proof of concept in immunological, respiratory, neurological and neurodegenerative diseases in just five years
- New and approved diagnostic markers for four of these diseases and at least two new medicines which could either be new antibiotics or new therapies for Alzheimer’s disease
For 2014-2024, the IMI has a budget of 3.3 billion euro. It is financed by the EU and the industry organisation EFPIA.
Possibilities with the Innovative Medicines Initiative
Companies can receive funding covering 75% of project cost related to R&D while other costs (e.g. management and training) can receive coverage of 100%.
IMI's strategiske agenda har følgende fokusområder:
- Target validation and biomarker research (efficacy and safety);
- Adoption of innovative clinical trial paradigms;
- Innovative medicines;
- Patient-tailored adherence programmes.
The calls are 2-stage, initiated with an expression of interest from the consortium. Based on expert evaluation, IMI will invite selected consortias to apply in phase 2.
Requirements for the Innovative Medicines Initiative
There are three primary requirements for a project to be eligible for funding from the Innovative Medicines Initiative:
- Project period of 3-5 years
- Large market potential or socioeconomic impact – min EUR 100M over five years.
- Specific demands for the consortia depends on the research topic, but the funding option focuses greatly on the establishments of public-private partnerships and demands the inclusion of a number of stakeholders such as biotech companies, SMEs, governmental institutions, research institutions, NGOs, and institutions affecting medical requirements (e.g. HTA)
Sign up for our news service and recieive a notification when the next deadline is published.Sign up
Can your project get funding from Innovative Medicines Initiative?
TechFunding can help you determine if funding from Innovative Medicines Initiative is the right way to go. Contact us to discuss your possibilities.
Can your project get funding?
We are specialised in helping companies win public funding. Tell us a little bit about your project and we will help you identify the funding potential.Tell us about your project
or call (+45) 61 60 75 08
We help you succeed
We help companies obtain public funding by converting good projects to well-prepared applications.
Our services cover the entire application process: